Previous CLE Conferences
2023 FALL CONFERENCE – OCTOBER 12 & 13
This year our Fall Conference took place on October 12 & 13 at the Victoria Inn. The Committee and the program chairs planned and organized seven content-rich programs (Civil, Corporate, Criminal, Family, Estates, Real Estate, Labour and Employment). We are thankful to all of them for all their hard work! We had a great turnout this year with over 135 individuals taking part in the conference. We also wish to extend our sincere thanks to our keynote speakers who delivered very thoughtful advice to the attendees. Below are links to the conference agenda, registration form, brochure and listing of CPD credits.
- Keynote speaker Courtney Harris, Research Lawyer, Ontario Court of Appeal – Thursday, October 12
- Keynote speaker Hon Faye E. McWatt, Associate Chief Justice of the Superior Court of Justice – Friday, October 13
- 2023 Fall Conference Agenda
- 2023 Fall Conference Registration Form
- 2023 Fall Conference Brochure
- 2023 Fall Conference – listing of CPD credits
Title Plus was our platinum sponsor of the conference, and has supported this event for many years now. Our sponsors/exhibitors for the conference also included Stewart Title, Bridgepoint Financial, Lawyer Done Deal, McKellar Structured Settlements, e-State Planner, FCT, Deal Track, Integra, Closer, Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Foundation, and Bora Laskin Faculty of Law-Lakehead University. A big thank you to all our sponsors/exhibitors! If you have any questions about the event, please contact us at email@example.com.
2022 FALL CONFERENCE – OCTOBER 13 & 14
This year our Fall Conference was held in-person! It took place on October 13 & 14 at the Victoria Inn. The Committee and the program chairs worked diligently to prepare and deliver seven content-rich programs (Civil, Corporate, Criminal, Family, Estates, Real Estate, Labour and Employment). Kudos to them for all their hard work! We had a great turnout this year with over 140 individuals taking part in the conference. We also wish to extend our sincere thanks to our keynote speakers who delivered very thoughtful advice to the attendees. Below are links to the conference agenda, registration form, brochure and listing of CPD credits.
- Keynote speaker The Honourable George R. Strathy, former Chief Justice of the Ontario Court of Appeal – Thursday, October 13
- Keynote speakers Dean Hughes & Hope Buset, Bora Laskin Faculty of Law – Friday, October 14
- 2022 Fall Conference Agenda
- 2022 Fall Conference Registration Form
- 2022 Fall Conference Brochure
- 2022 Fall Conference – listing of CPD credits
Title Plus returned again this year as our platinum sponsor of the conference! Our sponsors/exhibitors for the conference also included Bridgepoint Financial, AssessMed, Teranet / Surefund, Stewart Title, Korbitec, McKellar Structured Settlements, Lawyer Done Deal and e-State Planner. A big thank you to all our sponsors/exhibitors! If you have any questions about the event, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2021 VIRTUAL FALL CONFERENCE (OCT 27TH & 28TH)
With the assistance of the OBA, our Fall Conference was held virtually on October 27th & 28th, with the assistance of the OBA for registration and delivery. With the rising covid cases in Ontario, the Committee felt it was best to move the programs online. Over the two days, seven programs were delivered (Civil, Corporate, Criminal, Family, Estates, Real Estate and Labour)! Please note that the Labour programs consisted of LSO CPD replays of the Six-Minute Employment Lawyer and the Six-Minute Labour Lawyer. All of the programs were available to TBLA members free of charge! Non-members who registered were invoiced after registering for a fee of $50.00 plus HST per program. We had very interesting keynote speakers at lunch on both days (CPD credits of 45 min EDI each!) with Professor Tenille Brown, Bora Laskin Faculty of Law, Lakehead University on October 27th who spoke on “Restoule v. Canada (Attorney General) 2018 ONSC 7701: S.35 Aboriginal Treaty Law in Northern Ontario”; and Mr. Donald E. Worme, Q.C., I.P.C, Semaganis Worme Lombard LLP on October 28th speaking on “The Current Historic Robinson Treaties litigation: the upholding of treaty promises and renewal of treaty relationships”.
And we had daily draws for prizes too! Below is a listing of the prize winners:
- October 27th
- 1st – Jasmine Kruschel, Carrel + Partners
- 2nd – Matt Smiley, Ericksons LLP
- 3rd – Nicole Rea, Rea Law Office
- October 28th
- 1st – Kasper Fielder-Tingley, Weiler Maloney Nelson
- 2nd – Karen Hagman – Atwood Labine LLP
- 3rd – Kristi Burns, Buset LLP
- Civil Program
- 2021 TBLA – Civil – Program Outline
- 2021 TBLA – Civil – Civil Virtual Trial Power Point
- 2021 TBLA – Civil – The Virtual Civil Trial Paper – Laura HIllyer James Page
- 2021 TBLA – Civil – CaseLines from Invite to Presentation – handout
- 2021 TBLA – Civil – Best Practices for Remote Hearings – May 2021
- 2021 TBLA – Civil – SCJ Sample Virtual Hearing Protocol
- 2021 TBLA – Civil – Expert Evidence
- 2021 TBLA – Civil – Foreseeability – Erik S. Knutsen
- 2021 TBLA – Civil -Defendant – Virtual Civil Trial
- LawPro materials
- 2021 TBLA – LawPro – 2006-03-prompt-claims
- 2021 TBLA – LawPro – 2013-05-eo-claim-when-to-report
- 2021 TBLA – LawPro – 2018-02-lawpro-not-like-auto-insurer
- 2021 TBLA – LawPro – 2021-10-insurance-issue-full-issue
- 2021 TBLA – LawPro – This-is-not-a-claim
- 2021 TBLA – LawPro -Ineffective-Assistance-of-Counsel-Claims-–-LAWPRO-is-here-to-help
- 2021 TBLA – LawPro -When-You-Get-a-Call-About-a-Will-You-Drafted-What-Is-Your-Next-Step
- Estates Program
- Family Program
- Corporate Program
- Criminal Program
- Real Estate Program
- October 28, 2021 – Donald Worme, Q.C.
We wish to thank all of the sponsors for our conference this year, especially our platinum sponsor Title Plus!
2020 VIRTUAL FALL CONFERENCE (OCT 29TH & 30TH)
With the assistance of the OBA, Thunder Bay was able to offer three half-day sessions to the membership covering the areas of advocacy, solicitor work, and EDI. We believe this program appealed to all members, whether specializing in litigation, family, estates, criminal, labour, or corporate. The keynote speaker at 9:00 am on October 29th was the Hon. Justice David Brown, Court of Appeal Ontario. He spoke on the current state of litigation in Ontario, as well as commenting on the effects of COVID-19 on the courts, lawyers and their clients with the movement to virtual/online court hearings. Kicking off the morning on October 30th was our keynote speaker, Mr. Harold Johnson, author, lawyer and former prosecutor. He spoke eloquently on the effects of alcohol on Indigenous communities, the wider community and the justice system. The library now has a number of his recent works available for loan.
- 2020 Conference brochure (includes detailed CPD credits listing)
- 2020 Conference CPD credits
- Also, please note that who attended any one of the programs on October 29th & 30th qualifies the attendee for the LawPro Risk Management Credit.
A big thank you to our platinum conference sponsor, TitlePlus, as well as all of our program chairs for making this virtual conference a reality!
2019 FALL CONFERENCE (OCT 24TH & 25TH)
The Fall Conference took place on October 24th & 25th at the Victoria Inn. The program, agenda & registration form are available below. We extend our sincere thanks to all our sponsors and exhibitors, especially to our platinum sponsor TitlePlus, and Stewart Title Guaranty Company our Gold sponsor of the wine & cheese social. We are grateful to both of these companies for their continued support of annual educational event! Silver sponsors were Total Healthcare Solutions (Thursday’s luncheon) and Chicago Title Canada (Friday’s luncheon). Our coffee break sponsors were Lawyer Done Deal, and Lakehead University and Accessible Daily Living.